Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Figure in Landscape II

This painting is also in my series of contemplative figures in landscape. It is titled "Longing" and was juried into Gallery Route One's annual juried show. This year Rene de Guzman, senior art curator at the Oakland Museum of California, was the juror. http://www.galleryrouteone.org/
The painting was inspired by a visit in Sweden in the fall, I walked around a lake with my dear friend Petra (http://www.petra10001.blogspot.com/). I took many photos from the walk and this painting was initially inspired by one of the photos of Petra looking over the water. I wanted to make it a self-portrait, and so I took another picture of myself in the same pose. Well, Petra's daughter says "mom" when she sees this and for people that don't know Petra, they believe it is a self-portrait.
I realized it doesn't really matter, the "self" in this, is the memory of feelings in a serene landscape that I think most of us have within, at least that is my wish.


"Longing", 30 x 40 inches, Oil on canvas prepared with fiber ground

No comments:

Post a Comment